Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto >

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Notices

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto

Old 09-14-2016, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 367 Likes on 246 Posts

any updates Hblair? emptied the baby yet?
Old 09-14-2016, 07:57 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,326 Likes on 282 Posts

We're actually about to get back on it in the next few weeks, as the Alabama summer winds down. A broken lower on the Rt side in May and two spun main bearings on the Rt motor in July on the 30' boat didn't help give us time to work on the KV either

Last edited by hblair; 09-14-2016 at 07:59 PM.
Old 09-15-2016, 02:14 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Watching this with a great deal of interest, as we are about to start down the same road with the restoration of the #2 Miami Vice boat (Star 2)
KV does indeed stand for KAAMA Vice in homage to Betty's KAAMA Scarab and the Vice program. The KV designaction was introduced in 86 when the 377 was given cosmetic changes that included splitting the bolsters, moving the navigation lights to the deck, removing the gun wale padding, new rear seat, replacing the lower teak cabin doors with a plexi slider and changing the cabin to the Raider cabin. The deck hatches were moved 10" forward to accommodate a bulkhead relocation.
I also thought KV was an abbreviation for KAAMA Version until Bill Erickson told me rhetoric meaning behind it.
The first two boats built for Vice, Star 1 and our boat are technically 377s, but were referred to as KVs. Both boats had a couple of the cosmetic changes, but still retained the teak cabin doors, 377 cabins and deck hatch locations. The third boat built for season 2 was a complete KV. It was used for promotional purposes and off screen photo shoots. It had the Edition style stripe.
As far as I can tell, our boat was the last built with the 377 configuration.
Old 09-15-2016, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

This is so cool!
Old 09-20-2016, 12:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

The main tank was pretty corroded up from the inside by what used to be gasoline 25 years ago. Holes in the bottom. I took it over to a guy who has some experience fabricating aluminum boats. he's gonna cut out the bottom and see if the sides and the top are clean, if so, he'll replace the bottom. I could have done the repair myself, but he will do a good job, and having him do it will free up some time for me on the hull. I haven't inspected the side tanks closely yet ( I will), but I think they're ok. Apparently they were empty when the boat was parked...

Last edited by hblair; 09-20-2016 at 12:05 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:16 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hblair
The main tank was pretty corroded up from the inside by what used to be gasoline 25 years ago. Holes in the bottom. I took it over to a guy who has some experience fabricating aluminum boats. he's gonna cut out the bottom and see if the sides and the top are clean, if so, he'll replace the bottom. I could have done the repair myself, but he will do a good job, and having him do it will free up some time for me on the hull. I haven't inspected the side tanks closely yet ( I will), but I think they're ok. Apparently they were empty when the boat was parked...

Boy does that bring back some not so pleasant memories!
Old 09-20-2016, 10:05 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

We got some more done tonight. I got the rest of the head area (to the right as you go down in the cabin) removed as well as the sink and fridge (to the left as you go into the cabin; kitchenette?) also removed. It was not in as good a shape. The fridge surprisingly has an icemaker and prolly weighs 60 lbs. as we were taking the stuff out I was thinking about all the weight savings...

Water tank..

Most of the floor panels surprisingly tap good, except for the center, it's completely soft. We'll prolly cut the side floor pieces loose so we can check out the stringers underneath...

See the little drain hole in the center part of the floor? (In the right side of the photo) that's the drain hole for the cabin, it was just hole sawed and not waterproofed and the whole floor is rotten because of that...

Starting to cool off in Alabama now. Us old folks can work in the evenings now...

I'm pretty surprised so far at what we've found. For sitting outside unprotected for a quarter century, it's not as bad I thought it would be (so far).

Last edited by hblair; 09-20-2016 at 10:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:55 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by scarab kv
Watching this with a great deal of interest, as we are about to start down the same road with the restoration of the #2 Miami Vice boat (Star 2)
KV does indeed stand for KAAMA Vice in homage to Betty's KAAMA Scarab and the Vice program. The KV designaction was introduced in 86 when the 377 was given cosmetic changes that included splitting the bolsters, moving the navigation lights to the deck, removing the gun wale padding, new rear seat, replacing the lower teak cabin doors with a plexi slider and changing the cabin to the Raider cabin. The deck hatches were moved 10" forward to accommodate a bulkhead relocation.
I also thought KV was an abbreviation for KAAMA Version until Bill Erickson told me rhetoric meaning behind it.
The first two boats built for Vice, Star 1 and our boat are technically 377s, but were referred to as KVs. Both boats had a couple of the cosmetic changes, but still retained the teak cabin doors, 377 cabins and deck hatch locations. The third boat built for season 2 was a complete KV. It was used for promotional purposes and off screen photo shoots. It had the Edition style stripe.
As far as I can tell, our boat was the last built with the 377 configuration.
Very Interesting. When you say your KV has the 377 interior, is it the layout like mine? You can't post any photos of your interior can you?
Did I read where that Star 2 boat had been left outside for years also? If that's the case, you may very well be doing the same thing.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Registered

We got some more done tonight. I got the rest of the head area (to the right as you go down in the cabin) removed as well as the sink and fridge (to the left as you go into the cabin; kitchenette?) also removed. It was not in as good a shape. The fridge surprisingly has an icemaker and prolly weighs 60 lbs. as we were taking the stuff out I was thinking about all the weight savings...

Water tank..

Most of the floor panels surprisingly tap good, except for the center, it's completely soft. We'll prolly cut the side floor pieces loose so we can check out the stringers underneath...

See the little drain hole in the center part of the floor? (In the right side of the photo) that's the drain hole for the cabin, it was just hole sawed and not waterproofed and the whole floor is rotten because of that...

Starting to cool off in Alabama now. Us old folks can work in the evenings now...

I'm pretty surprised so far at what we've found. For sitting outside unprotected for a quarter century, it's not as bad I thought it would be (so far).
Who says you can't stand up straight in a flat deck cabin?
Old 09-21-2016, 05:54 PM
Registered

Very Interesting. When you say your KV has the 377 interior, is it the layout like mine? You can't post any photos of your interior can you?
Did I read where that Star 2 boat had been left outside for years also? If that's the case, you may very well be doing the same thing.
Yes, the layout is the same. The galley is a little different in mine and the head compartment has some trim pieces that I don't see in yours.
My boat sat outside at CYC for 18 years, then after having Brad Wallace go through the engines and fuel issues after three hours of run time, it was winterized on the owners lift and sat another six years. To add insult to injury, the hull took on water during hurricane Sandy's high tide, due to the drain plug being removed, which left a nice mud line in the cabin. I don't know how it was stored during the first six years.
With the new cabin from the 38 Raider, the galley was shortened up and a seat was inserted.
The head was replaced by a wrap around Solon and a porta potty was hidden under the center of the horseshoe couch
Attached Thumbnails Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-fb_img_1458506963913.jpg   Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-fb_img_1458506983813.jpg   Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-fb_img_1458507013742.jpg  

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-fb_img_1458507031495.jpg   Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-fb_img_1458506910991.jpg   Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-fb_img_1455751787046.jpg  

Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-fb_img_1455751761376.jpg   Back from the Dead; '81 Scarab 38 Resto-fb_img_1455751754600.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.